[Clipart] clipart.freedesktop.org and OpenOffice.org

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Thu Apr 8 13:52:07 PDT 2004

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, David Illsley wrote:
> Well I have some web and xml experience, and I'm willing to learn a bit
> if necessary. Obviously it all depends a bit on what it is decided
> needs done.

*Nod*  Okay, maybe we should just start by discussing what might need
doing, and start collecting items for a todo list, like...

0.  Project Initiation
   * Establish an IRC channel and get together informally
   * Set up wiki with access for clipart participants
   * Get access to a web server for posting static web pages
   * Review/revise this todo list

1.  Make First Clipart Package
   * Collect a couple dozen random SVG imgs useful as clipart
   * Write a README for the package
   * Add the public domain license to the package
   * Tarball the package

2.  Website
   * Write a basic homepage
   * Write a preliminary FAQ
   * Create a download page
   * Create a preliminary screenshots page
   * Identify other pages to work on making in the future

3.  Packaging Format Decision
   * Explore if existing drawing apps have a packaging format we could
     reuse.
   * Review the example package & discuss better packaging approaches
   * Decide metadata to include per package & create an example file
   * Write a brief HOWTO for the package creation process

4.  Clipart Push
   * Start collections of clipart for 3 different categories
     (examples:  animals, vehicles, fruit & vegetables)
   * Collect 12+ items for three categories of clipart
   * Create screenshots using some of the clipart & post on website

5.  Future Planning
   * Consider web-based upload tools (WebDAV? DMS/CMS?)
   * Set up a way to capture & track requests
   * Identify next set of milestones

> I don't know what kind of packaging format is required - I had imagined
> downloadable individual svg files (from some kind of page with a
> description and maybe a rasterised thumbnail) to keep it simple to get
> an individual image - as well as some kind of tarball with metadata -
> ideally filenames would give a good idea of the file content.

Initially it'd probably be fine to allow individual svg file downloads,
however I think as the quantity of items grows, that may become a bit of
a hassle for users.  Grouping things in packages has some organizational
benefits for us as a project, as well (an explanation of this I wrote is
in the archive somewhere).