[Clipart] Clipart installers WAS: check it

fenix at theopencd.net fenix at theopencd.net
Thu Apr 29 07:26:24 PDT 2004

> > Jonathan Phillips wrote:
> > > Yeah, the site right now is PHP and it isn't that difficult to code...I
> > > just think it is good for us to see what others are using.
> >
> > I wonder.  How are people supposed to install the clipart in the zip file?
>
> > Are they supposed to go to the appropriate directory and copy it?
> >
> > If so, we may be able to do a slight improvement on MS' idea.  We could
> have
> > the option of creating a self-installer.  You run it and it automatically
> > puts the files in the correct hierarchy in (say) /usr/local/share/clipart/
> >
> > You can do this using MakeSelf.
> >
> > http://www.megastep.org/makeself/
> >
> > It works in all Unices including Linux and Mac OS X.
> >
> > It allows you to make a self-extracting archive which, after extracting
> > itself runs an arbitrary program (e.g. an installer).  I've used this
> > before.  It actually works.  I was very impressed.
> >

> THat sounds brilliant! We need that feature request thing up so that we
> can collect all these ideas!
>
> What type of solution is there for windows? We obviously have to cover
> all the bases...

Well, well. The idea of multi-platform installer is unique for me !!! it's
brilliant. Maybe it's possible to extend MakeSelf to run under Windows in the
far future???

In the near future, maybe I can build a simple installer for Windows platform.

I own a Windows XP box, and I have InnoSetup, which is an OSS tool for Windows
installers.

-Fenix*NBK*