[Clipart] vector aesthetics

Joshua Marinacci joshy at joshy.net
Mon May 3 06:54:46 PDT 2004

What you've written so far is fascinating.

Your five features of vector graphics perfectly describe
the genesis of cartoon animation. Taking advantage of the
new technologies of the day (photographic projection systems and
materials science in the form of cheaper film, better pens,
and eventually color inks). Scalablity in the form of projection.
Reproduceablity enabled by the network of movie theaters across the
country. Modularity in the form of reusable cels for scenery, props,
etc. Precsion in that it had clean lines and sharp contrast, in
comparison to the muddier live action film of the day. And abstraction,
in that you could convey concepts with cartoon drawing that were
impossible or impractical with live action footage.

When you get into the historical accounts of vector art, be sure to
dig into the history of futurism from the turn of the century to the mid
fifties. The advance into printing technology enabled a new aesthetic
that mirrored what was going on the rest of the world. Cleaner printing
plates, new optical techniques, and the airbrush brought forth all of
the imagery we are famillar with from that period. Spaceships in the
heavens, spotlights on skyscrapers reaching upward, geometric elegance
directly applied to architecture and art.  It was a fascinating time
that I always enjoy reading about. (needless to say, futurism from the
first half of the 20th century is a passion of mine.)

I can't wait to read more as you write it.

- Joshua