[Clipart] XML hierarchy definitions

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Mon Sep 27 19:52:43 PDT 2004

Alberto Simões <hashashin at gmail.com> writes:

> Hmms,
>
> This means you want to continue with the directories
> structure,right?  But, what to do when a file can be in more than
> one category? We will duplicate it?

I'm hoping he doesn't mean that we'll store each of those images from
the DMS into each subdirectory they have a keyword for in _each_
heirarchy.  Right now we're probably only doing one heirarchy
(English), but if somebody comes along and contributes heirarchies in
our XML heirarchy format for eighteen other languages, I'd like to
think we won't be storing the files eighteen times as many times on
the filesystem.

I would think the DMS would store one copy of the current version of
each file (and maybe old versions, but that's a separate issue), and
the heirarchies would just have tokens or pointers that allow the
individual images (and thumbnails and whatever) to be retrieved from
the DMS.