[Clipart] XML hierarchy definitions

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Wed Sep 29 23:26:33 PDT 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> Alberto Simões <hashashin at gmail.com> writes:
> > This means you want to continue with the directories
> > structure,right?  But, what to do when a file can be in more than
> > one category? We will duplicate it?
>
> I'm hoping he doesn't mean that we'll store each of those images from
> the DMS into each subdirectory they have a keyword for in _each_
> heirarchy.  Right now we're probably only doing one heirarchy
> (English), but if somebody comes along and contributes heirarchies in
> our XML heirarchy format for eighteen other languages, I'd like to
> think we won't be storing the files eighteen times as many times on
> the filesystem.

Yes, this is one of the issues I've been worrying about and don't have a
good solution for.  I'm hoping others will be able to invent some
solutions for this problem.

> I would think the DMS would store one copy of the current version of
> each file (and maybe old versions, but that's a separate issue), and
> the heirarchies would just have tokens or pointers that allow the
> individual images (and thumbnails and whatever) to be retrieved from
> the DMS.

Yes, the DMS will interally just have one copy of the current version of
each document.  Old versions will also be stored.  The hierarchies will
define the subdirs to copy the images into.  Yet I'm fuzzy on some of
the details of how this'd actually work in practice, and am hoping other
creative folks will have ideas as to how to make it work well.