[Clipart] Open Clip Art Library - Release 0.06

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Wed Sep 29 23:31:59 PDT 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> Bryce Harrington <bryce at bryceharrington.com> writes:
> > I also noticed that certain images have too many keywords, but
> > didn't have time to address that.
>
> Leave the keywords on them unless they're inappropriate for the image.
> Ultimately we won't be making a copy of the image for each keyword the
> image has, because we'll only be grabbing images that have the
> keywords corresponding to the categories in the heirarchy XML, or
> something like that.  Extra keywords may facilitate searching.

Yup, that's what I'm planning in the near term.  Longer term I think we
need some form of keyword editing capability.  For instance, if we have
'mammal' and 'mammals' as keywords, we'd want to have an easy way to
combine both of these groups together (along with 'mamal', etc.)

> > I don't know what we should do in the future - include duplicates
> > (probably, but hogs space),
>
> I think we should include duplicates, but not for _every_ keyword an
> image has, only for the ones that correspond to categories -- and even
> then not if the image also has a keyword that gets it listed in one of
> the _subcategories_ of that category.  So, a dolphin image would be
> copied under "Mammals" and under "Fish" probably, but *not* also under
> the overall "Animals" directory.

Agreed.  I doubt I'll be able to implement this for this weekend's
release, but we'll see...

> > use symlinks (would only work on *nix),
>
> We could produce separate packages for the major platforms.  Far down
> the road, envision a downloads page containing this excerpt...
>
> Download Open Clip Art Library 4.7, English Language heirarchy, with
> thumbnails:
>   * for Microsoft systems:  EXE installer.
>   * for RPM-based Linux systems:  RPM package.
>   * for Mac OS X: DMG disk image.
>   * for POSIX systems:  ZIP package.
>     (Your filesystem must support symbolic links.)
>   * for POSIX systems:  gzipped tarball. (No symlinks.)
>   * for Mozilla OfficeBird: XPI extension.
>   * for the Parrot Operating System:  PAR archive, images
>     and toolkit (requires Perl 6.2 or higher).
>
> Well, okay, I got carried away there.  But anyway, we could provide a
> package with symbolic links for people who can use it as well as one
> with duplicates instead.

Eeeek, yeah, you make a good point.  I would definitely prefer to
provide just ONE package that suits most systems, and that means that
symlinks are probably out of the question.

> > select which dirs appear in a package,
>
> Yeah, that's what the XML heirarchies are about.  Not every keyword
> should have a directory, I think, and the Yorkshire Terrier doesn't
> need to be under Animals and also under Dogs separately, because if
> the XML heirarchy says that Dogs is a subcategory of Animals it can go
> under Animals/Dogs instead.

Yup.

I think I sort of know how the hierarchy stuff needs to be implemented,
but am really hoping there are others more creative than me who can come
up with good solutions for the hierarchy needs.  Guess we'll have to
see, though, it's a tricky problem to solve.