[Clipart] RSS feeds and aggregation

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Apr 7 10:32:00 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 13:18 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> http://freedesktop.org/~nicubunu/freegraphics/
> this is just the default Planet template with a RSS feed taken from
> Inkscape.
>
> what i propose:
> 1. "borrow" the news system from Inkscape website to have RSS feeds also
> on OCAL

I've emailed Jonathan Leighton about him implementing the same system
for OCAL, as well. Jonathan, would you be willing to do a similar
conversion for ocal. The underlying html is the same for news as
Inkscape, so it should be a no-brainer.

> 2. aggregate the feeds from those two sites (Inkscape and OCAL) and from
> the known weblogs of our contributors (i know about jimmac, Uraeus and Alan)
> 3. use a better URL (like planet.openclipart.org or something more neutral)

Ok...sounds good. planet.openclipart.org sounds good to me.

> 4. improve the page look (Planet theme, style sheet)

Make it inline with our webpage.

> 6. get more of us to publish blogs and aggregate them

Agree...I have been planning to do this as well.

> 7. convince people from other projects (The Gimp, Scribus) to give us
> feeds from their news and developers blogs

Yes, I agree....

> 8. Profit!

Agree...The only thing is that I have been wanting to develop an
organization/planet site for the creative community that would help bind
all these projects together. Maybe a good first step is to make a planet
site for openclipart.org, and then once that is successful make a larger
planetcreative.org or something on freedesktop.org. The more we can
share what we are all working on together, I think the better.

I think planet.openclipart.org should focus mostly on the developers
working on openclipart.org and the closely related projects, like
Inkscape and OpenOffice.

jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)