[Clipart] RSS feeds and aggregation

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Fri Apr 8 13:39:37 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 09:19 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Jonathan Leighton wrote:
> > Jon Phillips wrote:
> >>>

> >>Make it inline with our webpage.
> >>

> > What do you mean? Make it look the same/similar to OCAL?
>
> if we host this at planet.openclipart.org, then it make sense to have a
> similar look. if we host it elsewhere, then it just be made prettier.
>

> > How about getting freegraphics.org? Then that could be the free graphic
> > app co-ordination organisation, encouraging things like consistent UIs
> > etc. We could then have planet.freegraphics.org for aggregation.
> > planetcreative.org sounds like Just Another Planet Site to me, which
> > wouldn't be the impression we'd want to give if we are aiming to do
> > something more than just aggregate feeds.
>
> i figured something like freegraphics.org is an option (and someting
> about we talked in the past) this is why i asked on the list for opinions
>
> to help decide what we really want:
> - this is my initial Planet configuration
> http://freedesktop.org/~nicubunu/freegraphics/
> - and here are some people added
> http://freedesktop.org/~nicubunu/freegraphicspeople/
> (both are updated by a cron job every hour)

Okay, I sat down and thought about this a bit. Here is what I think we
should do:

1.) make planet.openclipart.org that represents developers of
openclipart.org only. I don't we should include the respective projects
that are affiliated and make this solely focused upon all the
developers.

2.) Make another affiliated project called, create.freedesktop.org that
has the main page as the planet aggregation of feeds from developers,
and projects that are used for creative development. This would included
the types of application you would use to edit multi-media, graphics,
animation, sound, video, etc. By keeping the name affiliated with
freedesktop.org is good to keep it somewhat standards-like and then
also, after the main page, the aggregration becomes popular, use this
presence as a way to glue together various shared interests amongst
creative applications. However, I think the core focus should be on the
aggregation at present. From that main page, a link to a wiki, and other
ways to encourage participation can be developed.

I think this seems like a good way to consolidate what we are talking
about here, and also provide progress. I thought about the name a lot
and came to this conclusion. If you all agree, then NICU, can you take
the lead on the planet.openclipart.org, and then I can get the subdomain
and new project-dom for the create.freedesktop.org from fd.o. Then maybe
both NICU and Jonathan, you can help implement the
create.freedesktop.org site with the planet aggregation.

Sound good?

jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)