[Clipart] KDE and OCAL

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Apr 17 20:36:10 PDT 2005

On Saturday 16 April 2005 04:17, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> Agreed.  We are at a pretty early stage, in terms of our
> infrastructure and setup, but already the collection is useful.

yes, it's quite extensive.

as you may or may not know KOffice, Konqueror and KDesktop all speak SVG
natively, so this collection is wonderful for our users =)

> > 	- providing a KDE application that can browse the archives
> > (online/offline?)  of OCAL. this could be made a generic part that
> > other applications, such as KOffice or Quanta, could use to allow
> > seamless access to OCAL images.
>
> This part seems like a task that ought to be undertaken by someone
> familiar with KDE development, who has used Qt and other KDE-oriented
> libraries in the past, and so forth.

of course. i just didn't want to spend resources in this direction if there
wasn't some interest on OCAL's part, which it seems there is so .... huzzah!

> > 	- provide a GetHotNewStuff feed on OCAL's web site to make it
> > easy (e.g. a couple clicks) for KDE users to grab the latest /
> > greatest stuff from OCAL.
>
> That sounds useful.  I think we will need to have our planned document
> management system in place, so it will be down the road a bit, but it
> seems like a useful thing.

agreed.

> > and of course, there are opportunities for making public
> > announcements about this.
>
> We have in our project wiki a list of mailing lists and other places
> to announce new releases.  If there is a KDE-related list where these
> announcements would be wanted, feel free to add it.

i'm currently trying to determine which would be the best venues. if the
koffice stuff goes forward, i think a nice announcement on theDot
(dot.kde.org) to coincide with your 0.13 release would be a nice idea... it
would send several thousand KDE users your way in one fell swoop and
certainly raise general awareness of what you're doing. i'd be willing to
draft the article for your approval ...

as for regular announcements, i'll keep that in mind and see where it might
work out.

> > looking at your roadmap, it seems that some of these things will
> > become (more) feasable with the realization of milestones 13 and 17,
>
> Note that those milestones may get renumbered from time to time, since
> we do a new release every month, to get the new clipart out, whether
> we have met any infrastructural development goals that month or not.

understandable =)

> Right now my thoughts (as far as they pertain to OCAL) are tending to
> revolve around certain metadata-handling issues.

see my reply to Jon Phillips for some thoughts on this.

> are collecting can meet their needs; I see inclusion of OCAL clipart
> in various projects as a key vehicle toward driving a wider
> familiarity with the project, which in turn increases the number of
> contributors and so the value of the collection.

exactly how i see it as well... KDE has an amazingly active and tallented
artist community, and our user base is one of the broadest in the open source
world. OCAL gives them something they don't have right now, and i think OCAL
could do well to tap into that group of people's collective attention.

--
Aaron J. Seigo