[Clipart] metadata: aren't the keywords actually categories (and can keywords be added)?

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Sun Apr 17 21:35:18 PDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 19:21 -0400, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> Mike Traum <mtraum at yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Acutally, MS suprised me. Their http://office.microsoft.com/clipart
> > site generates .mpf files, which are xml with the clip files base64
> > encoded in them, including all of the meta data as well. For once,
> > their doing something right. I would consider their site as a model
> > for what you would want to achieve - they have a shopping cart-like
> > functionality, the ability to choose thumbnail size, etc. Of course,
> > all of their clips come with an unfriendly EULA attached.
>
> Shopping carts and EULAs and needing to use a specialized Java applet
> to access the files, that's your vision of what clip art should be
> like?

I don't think Mike was implying to use a EULA, ie, he called it
unfriendly. I do like the shopping cart concept for building a package,
but not with the shopping part...more like free cart...

> The way our packages are licensed, if someone (you, Microsoft,
> whoever) wants to take them and do stuff like that to them, they can,
> but please leave me out of it; those ideals are not compatible with
> the "Open" part of "Open Clip Art Library", and your visions of
> shopping carts and needing specialized applets are nothing whatsoever
> like my idea of what a useful clipart collection would be.

However, I do think Micro$oft's site has some good features. Also, I
think it is good to remember that people have different views of how
Open the clip art should be and it is good practice to discusses these
thing; it is a constant process of thinking and rethinking these things.

jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)
CVS Book (http://cvsbook.ucsd.edu)