[Clipart] Update Packages

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Apr 19 10:56:34 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 19 April 2005 11:40, Nathan Eady wrote:
>  >>I have thought about this, but this may be the first time it has been
>  >>brought up on the list.  The main problem I see is with the logistics
>  >>of how the user would merge the updates into the previously-downloaded
>  >>release.
>
> Of course, if there were an unpackaging tool familiar with the
> particulars of the package format, it could handle that, but I
> think for the moment we have to assume such a thing is future;
> right now, I think anything we release needs to be usable as
> it stands.  So, how would the user go about merging the updates?

if i were doing it, i'd supply a script that would be run as part of the
install process. rpm/deb support post install scripts, so if installing via
those mechanisms it would be "automagic", otherwise the user could download
and "run" the package which would consist of a shell script prepended to an
installation routine+data.

if you have seen the "all-in-one" installer that Apollon uses (arkollon), you
know how easy and sweet this can be. you haven't tried it, go grab it from
kde-apps.org just to experience the install, which is _from source_ even.
it's crazy-good =)

the updater script could be a shell script or even perl since that's generally
universally available these days. the process would simply be one of copying
the new files to their location, moving existing files aroun, removing files
that were removed and applying patches to the index files (or even just
completely replacing them; they can't be THAT big =)... all of this could be
done based on a list of files that would ship with the update package, making
each update a matter of changing this one file and including the new images.
this process could be automated with a tool that compares two given releases.

the format of the update file could be kept quite simple. =)

this whole process could be automated furthe for the user if they are using a
network-aware clip art browser such as Bryce mentioned yesterday (and to
whose email i still need to reply =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo