[Clipart] KDE and OCAL

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Apr 19 11:07:59 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 19 April 2005 01:03, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> SOAP has been my main focus for achieving this and I've gotten a good
> share of the (Perl) code written to do this, but it's certainly not
> perfect in all respects, and I'm definitely open to other ideas.
>
> But basically, my dream setup involves running a server as a daemon
> process at openclipart.org that enables download, search, and submit
> from any kind of client (cmdline, web, gui, etc.) interface.

that would be excellent, yes... i personally have no issue with using SOAP to
drive an interactive query interface .... though such an approach is only
really appropriate/useful for people with always-on, broadband internet
connections. this is not always the case, especially in europe or even places
like .au or .nz where many pay a premium for overseas transfers(!)... for the
rest of us it would be terrific, however, and not hard to do the client side
of either.

and of course, being able to browse both the local and remote stores as one
collection seemlessly should be part of the goal. but that's a client-side
design issue, and not one that would be particularly tricky to do at that.

it would also be nice to have the ability to check for large updates and
easily grab those... note that in KDE we're using the GetHotNewStuff
framework fairly extensively now for these sorts of updates because it's easy
to implement on the server side (and xml file, or if you want to make it
dynamic a simple script that outputs said xml file on demand) and deadly
simple to implement on the client side.

here's a (scaled down and so a bit blury) snapshot of the new user interface
for it that one of our developers is working on based on a design i whipped
up last month:

	http://aseigo.bddf.ca/dms/32/174_enrico_ghns.jpg

the side bar image is just a place holder at the moment and there are still a
few too many bevel lines in the interface, but... it's getting there. nicer
than what we currently have, though it is serviceable.

--
Aaron J. Seigo