[Clipart] Image portability

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Tue Apr 19 07:58:02 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 16:14 -0400, Nathan Eady wrote:
> Andrew Archibald wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does OCAL have any standards for portability or quality of images?  For
> > example, many images do not lie within their own stated page boundaries
> > (for example, eagle_01.svg hangs off the top of its page) which results
> > in many SVG viewers (konqueror, for example) showing only part of the
> > image.
>
> If you notice specific instances of this, you should list them
> under the Edit Requests section of the Clipart Requests page on
> the wiki, here:
> http://openclipart.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ClipartRequests
> Under the Edit Requests section of that page, just say something
> like "Fix document bounds:" and list the images (by relative
> path, like /animals/birds/eagle_01).  Some of these that I
> had noticed were fixed for the 0.12 release, but I'm sure
> there are some more that I didn't catch.  These are relatively
> easy fixes (though, unfortunately, I don't know of an easy
> way to _automate_ them; if someone else does, a tool to do
> that would be most welcome).
>
>  > Other images have either Inkscape- or Adobe-specific SVG
> > extensions and so may display incorrectly on simple SVG
>  > viewers which can handle only plain SVG.
>
> This may be harder to fix.

This request is similar to adding the "cleaning" step to the validation
process. Maybe we should accept submissions, and then keep the document
size the same, but set the svg viewBox attribute to the maximum bounds
of any objects on the canvas. Inkscape doesn't use the viewBox, but the
document size to set the page you see on canvas.

However, we should start a page on the wiki about the cleaning process
of images. We should have this discussion.

jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)
CVS Book (http://cvsbook.ucsd.edu)