[Clipart] KDE and OCAL

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Apr 21 17:33:08 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 15:04 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 09:02:46AM -0700, Jon Phillips wrote:

> > > Unfortunately, the gtkmm stuff is looking like it will not end soon.
> > > I'm going to try to balance time between the two projects, though.
> >
> > Yeah, its taking much longer...but that is an Inkscape issue... ;) I'll
> > see how I can help on both...
>
> Great, thanks.  I did some work for dms last weekend, and will this next
> weekend to work too.  Haven't decided if it'll be dms or gtkmm.  Guess
> whichever strikes my fancy when I wake up.  ;-)

Okay, I will put some time into one or the other hopefully on SUNDAY
(your saturday). I'm in SEOUL for the month once more (but I still have
a stable home base in OAKLAND).

> Btw, I've also been thinking over the distribution scheme a bit more.
> Kees and I mulled it over after work the other day and came up with an
> approach using rsync that'll probably serve pretty well, and that will
> fit in with the existing tarball approach and later can leverage dms.

Cool, looking forward to hearing more about...

> > > In particular, what we need right now is to redo all of the dms calls to
> > > be non-object oriented.  In other words, instead of implementing the API
> > > as members of a class, to make them stand-alone functions that accept
> > > the owning object as the first argument.
> > >
> > > The reason we need this is because PHP does not correctly interpret
> > > Perl's object model, and thus object oriented calls don't work.
> > >
> > > Anyway, the fix should be pretty straightforward.  It's just a bit
> > > frustrating that it has to be rigged up this way.  ;-)
> >
> > Could we develop the object model to fit PHP?
>
> Well, ideally yeah we'd just hack into the guts of Perl and PHP and make
> them interoperate better, but the Perl guts scare the bejesus out of me,
> and I'm guessing PHP guts are about the same.  ;-)

;)

> > Or, I guess we could use perl on pages as well, but that would be
> > possibly too big of a performance hit.
>
> Hmm, that's an idea...  Can PHP run shell scripts?  If so then it might
> be really trivial to solve this - we just create some short perl scripts
> that communicate with the server and then return formatted HTML
> snippets, that PHP could then insert into the appropriate places in the
> page.  Seems a bit of a hack, but a lot less work than reimplementing
> vast portions of the system.

Yes, this is totally doable. There are multiple ways to run shell
scripts and other executables in PHP.

> > Or, we could re-develop DMS in object oriented PHP.
>
> Well, the problem here would be that then it'd become a web-only app...

This is an incorrect assumption. PHP can be run from the commandline
just like PERL.

> The nice thing about the current design is that since it presents a
> programmable API instead of a web interface, you can communicate with it
> directly through shell scripts, GUI clients, and so forth.  I think this
> will be handy because it will enable tools like Inkscape to be able to
> save-to-OCAL, and enable prolific artists to upload or update vast
> batches of SVG's in one go, without having to upload each one
> individually through a web form.

Right, I have implemented PHP-based CLI tools many times and it works
really well.

KOREA PH 010.3140.7483
jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org