[Clipart] Crazy deps for DMS?

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Fri Aug 12 23:26:26 PDT 2005

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 01:04:20PM +0200, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> Did a new attempt today at getting DMS going. Maybe I am doing something
> wrong but for me I ended up with this gigantic dependency tree.
> Currently DMS claims it needs the following installed (after having
> insntalled 6-7 other packages)
>
> RDF::Simple >= 0
> SOAP::Lite::Utility >= 0
> SOAP::Lite >= 0
>
> Problem is that SOAP::Lite depends on 7-8 other packages, which in turn
> depends on other packages. Some of these subpackages doesn't even seem
> to be packaged correctly a cpan2rpm borks on them.
>
> Am I doing something wrong or is DMS currently stuck in dependency hell?

This is my Number One worry.

DMS as currently packaged includes both client and server.  I'm willing
to allow for additional dependencies for the server, since in theory
there would be only one, and the dependencies would not affect ordinary
users.  However, for the server, minimization of dependencies is
extremely important to me.

Currently the only dependency I expect for a client is SOAP::Lite.

If people in practice are finding SOAP::Lite to be a dependency problem,
then I think this tells us that SOAP is not a good technology to rely
on.

(Of course, based on Greg's advice among others, I've already had my
doubts about SOAP::Lite so this is not a total change of opinion, but
it's still very good data.)