[Clipart] Should OCAL pursue links from other clipart sites.

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Fri Aug 19 16:07:35 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 09:36 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Gerald Ganson wrote:
> > I'm just wondering if it would be helpful for OCAL to actively see if
> > other sites that are clipart related would place a link to OCAL on their
> > links page.
>
> Another kind of affiliates?

If the other sites have public domain clip art maybe...especially if it
is something we don't provide. Honestly, I would rather see us find
other public domain clip art and absorb it into our project. But this
would have to be done in a pro-community/asking way...otherwise, do the
force spider procedure to gather in bulk...(I really want to do this)

> > * some might request that OCAL link back to them...
> > * OCAL might see even more traffic
> > * would this enhance OCAL presence in search engines ?
>
> Definitely this could improve the presence in search engines.

Agree...the more links from other sites to us increases our rank.
Posting in blogs also helps drastically.

> > Would this be a good idea ?
> >
> > comments ? thoughts ?
>
> In my view, our emphasis is on "Open" not on "ClipArt", so I see more
> appropriate cross-promotion with other "Open Content" projects than
> "Closed ClipArt" sites (a good example for cross-promotion is the
> to-be-created Open Font Library)

Agree much...

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894