[Clipart] Definition of Clip Art at Wikipedia

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Wed Feb 9 08:04:47 PST 2005

Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> writes:

[At Wikipedia]
> It is defined there as PUBLIC DOMAIN images.
>
> I think however that dictionary.com is closer with their definition:
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=clip%20art

That says the same thing, albeit in less technical terms.  It says,
"that can be electronically copied and used to decorate a document."

The dictionary isn't trying to explain every nuance or implication of
the word; it's just giving you a basic meaning for the word.  If you
look up "squirrel" at dictionary.com, it doesn't tell you how large
squirrels are, how they make their nests, or that their teeth grow
continually and have to be sharpened by chewing on various edible and
inedible objects.  It just gives a basic definition of the word.