[Clipart] incoming logos

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Wed Feb 16 13:47:36 PST 2005

Glenn Randers-Pehrson <glennrp> wrote:
> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>>Bryce Harrington wrote:
>>

>>>For the Firefox logo, be careful; I had heard from someone that
>>>they were particular about unauthorized re-creations of it.
>>
>>I think they release it in bitmap format, even at quite high resolution,
>>and originally did release an svg/ai format vector format, but then
>>decided to withdraw the vector format.
>>
>>In fact there is/was a tidied up .svg format floating around the net
>>(possibly on svg.org but I can't be sure) I examined it in inkscape
>>purelt for study purposes ...
>>
>>Not sure what licence they originally released the vector version under,
>>but no point in antagonising them if they want to have control over it.
>

> They mainly want to prevent people from using it with unofficial builds.

Make sense...I would be in favor of not allowing logos unless there is
permission, and author credit built into the metadata. Someone has to click
that yes, this is public domain, however we have no way of tracking that
author currently, and so, any illegal submissions would fall on our heads.

Thus, it is good we have the incoming pool, but we should strip out images
without clear permission. I don't even honestly care that much personally
if we include logos, but maybe others feel this important...

In the future, we will be able to review these from the website and clean
up/delete illegal images...