[Clipart] SVG in OpenDocument

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Sun Jul 31 06:01:23 PDT 2005

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005, Jon Phillips wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 03:04 +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:

> > On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Jon Phillips wrote:

> > > Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:07:31 -0700
> > > From: Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org>
> > > To: Open Clip Art Library list <clipart at lists.freedesktop.org>,
> > > Subject: [Clipart] SVG in OpenDocument

> > I really hope someone with more techincal authority than me will step up
> > to this and I want to thank Daniel for tackling it (the OpenDocument
> > format is huge and scary).  It is a shame that OpenDocument seems to be
> > moving even further away from SVG in an attempt to support more features
> > when what we would like to see is it moving more towards SVG.
>
> > Would be great to be able to throw the main.xml from an OpenDocument at an
> > SVG parser and get some reasonable results.  The potential for XML formats
> > to degrade gracefully is an interesting one and if OpenDocument was
> > constructed as SVG with extras instead of new format vaguely resembling
> > SVG it could work and potentially exploit a much wider variety of existing
> > tools.
>
> The OpenDocument TC is totally interested in supporting SVG and have

Correct me if I'm wrong but I got the impression they were ditching the
basic Path element for something else as part of their efforts to support
more features (connectors specifically i believe it was).  Path is a
fundamental element of SVG so using something else seems like a really
awful idea.  Hopefully I am mistaken.

> worked to do this. I think things will get better. The main thing is
> that they have extra functionality that SVG doesn't support, and for
> these elements have made their own namespace I believe. I think is ok
> now...our speaking up paid off already.
>
> > > Mental, you seemed most versed in discussing these issues previously. I
> > > fear we are too late! OOo is geared up with OpenDocument support and I
> > > noticed that Krita and other KOffice apps already support the format.
> > > Man, why couldn't OpenDocument just use SVG man...ugh!
> >
> > Krita is the Paint application.
> > I'm almost certain it is not using OpenDocument.
> >
> > Karbon 14 the draw application is not using OpenDocument yet and is
> > currently without a maintainer.  If we have any enthusiastic C++
> > programmers interested in improving the SVG Importer for Karbon (and the
> > exporter too) it would really help.
>
> Yes, it does in karbon-1.4.0 on gentoo.

It is not using it instead of the default Karbon 14 file format which is
what I had expected and confused me.  Karbon 14 has support for Open
Office Draw allright.  (Kivio unfortunately however doesn't support very
many file formats at all.)

Sincerely

Alan Horkan