[Clipart] SVG font

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Tue Jun 28 21:17:53 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 14:08 +1000, Andy Fitzsimon wrote:
> OK alot of work in fontforge is needed before a typeface in plain svg
> typeface can be turned into a usable font.

Can you explain this? Are you saying that fontforge's SVG export is not
very good?

> there are quite a few places that will accept and publish a free font
> but it has to be usable in TTF postscript OpenType  etc
> OK so whats been done so far ?

His font looks like it implements most shapes that map to standard
English language. And, he included svg font, ttf, and type 1 in the
package from his website.

> OpenType / Truetype are the most useful IMHO

I think it suits our project best to release fonts in an open standard.
Are OpenType or TrueType open standards?

Supporting SVG fonts is something novel however. If we could include the
SVG version of his font with standard metadata included, wouldn't this
be okay in our Library?

I know SVG Fonts have some major technical problems like the lack of
hinting, so my concern is that it would be best to keep the font in its
highest quality format and then degrade. With SVG this is well doable,
but the TrueType or OpenType representation of the font is of higher
quality than the SVG-version. Sooo....we need to think about if we are
allowing fonts, and exactly how this could be added to the repository.

I'm in favor of SVG Fonts, but if there is an open standard font type,
then I think that is worth considering.

jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)