[Clipart] SVG font

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Wed Jun 29 10:21:53 PDT 2005

Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> writes:

> I think it suits our project best to release fonts in an open
> standard.  Are OpenType or TrueType open standards?

Define "open standard".  TrueType and OpenType were not designed by a
working group for a standards body in view of the public, but they do
have published and available format specifications.

However, as much as I want to see more free fonts in the world, I
think fonts are inherently different from clipart in a number of ways,
and TrueType/OpenType are different from SVG, too, so it would make a
certain amount of sense to refer font donations to an affiliate or
sister "Open Fonts Collection" project, if such a thing exists.