[Clipart] release

Stephen Silver ocalocal at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 9 12:21:15 PST 2005

Jonadab wrote:

> I still don't understand why the web browser would use different
> encodings to send data from the same form, even if there IS an RFC
> that allows it.  This probably means that to fix it, the upload script
> will have to convert the other bits and pieces to whatever encoding
> the main file uses.

Everything should be converted to UTF-8.  If I have understood the
XML::Twig documentation correctly, when you read an XML file via
XML::Twig you get UTF-8 even if the XML uses some other encoding,
as XML::Twig does the conversion automatically.  So you only really
need to worry about converting the text fields to UTF-8.

> I am at a loss why the browser wouldn't pick one encoding and
> stick with it for all the data.

I can think of situations where there would be a reason for sending
text fields in more than one encoding, but they are a bit unlikely.
But the browser has no control over the contents of the uploaded
file, so that may well be in a different encoding.

--
Stephen Silver