[Clipart] Duplicated items / keywords question

Greg Steffensen greg.steffensen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 11:26:22 PDT 2005

> Hmm, yes I suppose this would be a real problem. One way round this would
> be to have dibdirectories like 001, 002, 003 ... with 50 or 100 files in
> each. It's ugly, but if we have to compensate for the shortcomings of
> some filesystems, it'd probably going to have to happen sooner or later.

I agree that current attempt to map keywords to a category hierarchy is too
messy; they're different concepts (sets and trees). But as long as you need
some kind of directories for performance reasons, we could still make them
somewhat meaningful; say, authors, or maybe the first letter of the title?

Another possibility is to abandon using the filesystem for distinguishing
> keywords, and have some sort of index with an application for finding the
> files... This would make us bit more of software project (one that might
> not be easy to do in a truly cross platform way), but it would certainly
> enable us to avoid the file duplication problem. Mind you, doing it well
> would be tough.

This is conceptually the best solution, I think. Again, without wanting to
go off on a rant, the concept of "subjects" or "topics" is better
represented via sets than trees. This is how OCAL (ands lots of currently
hip web services) seems to be trying to organize its content but we're
running up against the tree metaphor of the filesystem. This is largely how
I implemented local clip art access in the clip art browser. If people can
tell me specifically what they want, I'm happy to build something like this.

Greg