[Clipart] logo

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Tue Feb 14 10:25:16 PST 2006

Jon Phillips wrote:
> I think the log should be bigger, and the big Open Clip Art library
> should be moved up and the text, "Drawing Together." should be under the
> main title...right now it kinda reads weird with the slogan under the
> logo...plus, that is against our own usage rules ;)

If I make the logo bigger, it overlaps stuff.  This is part of what
I was talking about when I said, "extreme wonkiness".

I also don't know how to move up the big "Open Clip Art Library",
again because of the weird way cchost is structuring the header,
and the position of "Drawing Together" does not appear to be
customizeable without completely restructuring the way cchost
constructs pages.  I had to play strange games with inlined
css just to get the logo not to overlap the "Drawing Together".
I don't even want to know what it looks like on browsers with
marginal CSS support, like IE5 or NS4.

It isn't as easy as just plugging in our own header; cchost is
building the header out of several customizeable bits and pieces,
but the structure it's using to put them together seems haphazard
and needlessly complex.

What we probably _could_ do is remove "Drawing Together" from
where it currently is (i.e., leave that field blank) and add it
to the banner-html.  Maybe I will try to do that today.  I'm not
sure what side-effect that might have, (e.g., if the field that
is set to "Drawing Together" is used in other places), but it
is worth trying out.

For the most part, though, I think we should concentrate on getting
the thing *working* first, and *then* it needs to be substantially
refactored.  I don't think we can get the header to _really_ look
entirely like we want until we get to that point of refactoring the
whole way cchost constructs pages.  However, the exact appearance
of the header seems like the wrong thing to spend a large amount
of time fixing now, if users can't even upload .svg files yet.