[Clipart] Re: [Inkscape-devel] Proposal: Merging Open Clipart Library into Inkscape

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Mon Jul 10 01:02:03 PDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 09:49:47AM +0300, Nicu Buculei (OCAL) wrote:
> Jon Phillips wrote:
> >
> >I think that merging the two projects *completely* is not a good idea. If
> >anything, Inkscape has been so successful because it has had a clear
> >vision of becoming a compliant SVG editor. However, by completely
> >merging the two, I fear that we will harm develop of both projects.
>
> I think I agree with Rejon here and I'm pretty much an Inkscape zealot :p
> My feeling is that a *complete* merge would increase the noise in many

Well, in my estimate what we're dealing with is a dying project - in
fact the thread that started this whole discussion in the first place
was a question about if we're dead or not.  We get questions almost
daily - will there be more tarball releases?  has there been any
progress with ccHost?  is this project still alive?

I would like to not see openclipart die out as a project.  I think it's
a good idea and has caught on well with artists.  However, there aren't
enough people actively working on it - heck, there aren't really even
enough people to put in the time to get others working actively on it.
I find most of my own ocal time is spent doing infrastructure work that
is literally duplicate work for Inkscape (wiki de-spam, account setup,
etc.)

We've been saying for months, "Everything will work well once ccHost is
up."  Rejon and I have put time in on it, but it's a much bigger effort
than we have time for, so we've been hoping others would chip in and
help.  We've had a few people express interest in working on it, yet
here we are months later and we seem no closer to having it ready to
replace the old tools than before.

I still think the idea of having ccHost is great, and should be done.
However I am skeptical that it will actually *get* done.  I don't think
we can do it alone.