[Clipart] More XML, please

Roan Horning roan at horning.us
Thu Jul 27 09:20:26 PDT 2006

Dear Florent,

The following url shows the Creative Commons (CC) suggested method for
embedding CC license meta-data within html, xhtml, and xml files in general:

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Web_Integration_Guide#Part_2:_Processing_and_Storage_of_license_information

The svg specification has a <metadata> tag defined:
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/metadata.html#MetadataElement

OpenClipArt.org follows the CC guidelines for embedding meta-data for
their web pages (which are xhtml) and for the svg clip art files.  For
the keywords of web pages we also use the html tag <meta name="keywords"
...>. On web pages in general , we use the <meta name="..."
content="..."> tag to embed various other meta-data about the page.

 From a technical standpoint, you should be able to use an xml parser to
find whatever meta-data is available in both the html and svg files.
This does mean you have to tailor your scripts for the openclipart.org
site, but once you figure it out for one html page and one svg file, the
rest will give up their meta-data quietly :)

How much and how consistent the meta-data provided is--they are
different questions. Perhaps this is what you mean?

Roan