[Clipart] Re: clipart Digest, Vol 31, Issue 5

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Oct 5 21:14:49 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 08:29 +1000, ryan wrote:
> I have just submitted a question on the EPA website asking if the images on
> their website are in the public domain. Apparently I will get a response in
> the next 10 working days...
>
> Ill keep you posted. Ill also put these links up on the wiki so we have a
> record of where good sources of images are located.

Yes, I might have started some resources about this on the wiki already,
as myself and others mapped out what else existed before we started this
project (and is one of the reasons we started it).

> What should the process for putting these on OCAL be?
> Should one upload the original raster image,
> Then submit a remix of it as a clipart?

Well, this reminds me we need no-upload and URL as types for upload in
addition to straight uploading of files through the submission forms.
This way, we can just link to their images.

However, for the time being, I think that uploading a moderate size
raster for the request is good (and we should allow), but keep in mind
that the image is to be converted to vector...and, make sure to post the
URL to the highest quality on the gov't site so we can track down an
infringers, etc.

This has been a dream of mine for a few years now to mine all the public
domain material on the web, get it metadata enriched/tagged, and add to
our collection...its totally low hanging fruit, and I think that this
strategy of uploading a rough, annotating where it comes from URL, and
then having people upload vectorizations (aka, remixes) is an awesome
task that we shoudl add to our list of ways to help...plus its fun!

I say go for it!