[Clipart] [Open Clip Art Library] frustration

Alan alan at ccnsweb.com
Wed Oct 24 06:33:46 PDT 2007

I think everyone is looking at things right now and saying "Wow, that's
kind of rough!" It's difficult to see something you like have a rough
time time of it. OpenClipart is going through a bit of a rough time
right now. Everyone is busy and everyone is willing to help in their
spare time, but you've gotta ask how much spare time people have. What
level of commitment do you have to seeing OpenClipart succeed? This is a
question each of us must ask ourselves.

OpenClipart is brilliant. What do we need to do to get it working as
well as we want it working? Perhaps let's go right back to the roots of
what we want. What exactly do we expect of OpenClipart? Once we've
listed exactly what we want, let's look at what we have. As we look at
each item of what we have, let's ask ourselves the question "Does this
particular item or way of doing things provide us with a big step in the
right direction towards what we want? Long-term, is this going to be the
best way of doing this?

Perhaps everything needs to be reworked from the ground up to make
OpenClipart robust, workable and a successful long-term project. Do we
have the resources to do that?

What about corporate sponsership? Is this a project that could be taken
under the wing of Sun or IBM or Google as an idea which strongly assists
the open source movement?

I think we're all a little depressed over the problems we've been
having. Does this mean we give up? Do we want to give up? Sometimes that
is a good thing. If the time and place is wrong, the best ideas will
struggle. Nobody wants to be associated with a project they feel has
little chance of success.

On the other hand, if you've got a dream; if you've got a vision and you
can see what this is going to be and you're willing to help it be
everything it can be...................

God help us, it will be wonderful! A person with a dream and a desire
and a backbone to see it come true; a person who KNOWS what the future
holds when it comes to this one thing. Often all it takes is a person
with a backbone and a vision to change the world. A person with a desire
to pour the very substance of their being into their dream, to bring it
to concrete 3-dimensional reality, here, where we live.

But each of you is already an artist in your own way. You take what's in
your mind and you put it to digital image or screen or code. Energy
becoming matter in front of your eyes. The universe expressing itself
through you.

OK. It's still early. I'm going to go have breakfast. I'm being way too
philosophical....... 8-)

A.