[Clipart] [Open Clip Art Library] frustration

Frederik Elwert frederik.elwert at web.de
Wed Oct 24 12:53:33 PDT 2007

Hey!

Everybody is frustrated because of the missing thumbnail preview. So I
just decided to go for it. I wrote a new Greasemonkey/UserScript that
shows thumbnails on the gallery.

See a screenshot, if you want:
http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~felwert/blog/downloads/OCAL-Gallery.png

To speed up the creation of the script, I used the jQuery Library, so
you need to install it as a UserScript, e.g. from here:
http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~felwert/blog/downloads/jquery.user.js

Now here's a first version of the script:
http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~felwert/blog/downloads/openclipart-gallery.user.js

For the SVG scaling part, I just copied the code from my old thumbnail
script.

There are still a few problems with the script:
      * Quite large downloads. Since it just takes what it gets, it
        downloads the full clipart, if the authors don't provide a
        thumbnail.
      * Firefox may crash. This is of course is not very nice. I
        actually don't know where the problem is, it doesn't occur with
        all cliparts, but it does occur on the current general "clipart"
        section. If anyone with more Firefox expertise can fix this, I'd
        be glad.
    On the other hand, I haven't had any problems using Opera.

I know that you people want a clean solution, and not a dirty JavaScript
hack. But at least I have working thumbnails now. So maybe somebody
finds this useful. Feel free to improve it!

Cheers,
Frederik