[Clipart] clipart Digest, Vol 43, Issue 17

Frederik Elwert frederik.elwert at web.de
Thu Oct 25 06:46:52 PDT 2007

Hey John,

Am Donnerstag, den 25.10.2007, 06:13 -0700 schrieb John Olsen:
> Excuse my non-geekness, but where would I install this UserScript?

If you use Opera, you can put it in any folder and specify that in the
JavaScript preferences.

For Firefox, you need the Greasemonkey extension. Once that is
installed, it recognizes UserScripts (with the user.js-extension) and
asks you to install it. Pretty simple.

I'll see if I can modify the script to drop the jquery dependency, it
was merely a coding aid and might disturb some other websites. So you
might want to activate Greasemonkey for the moment only while you're on
openclipart.org via the mokey icon in the lower right corner.

> Sadly, I am very GUI dependent and get lost easily when it comes to
> code.  I'm a designer, I like pretty pictures.  I assume you
> understand that this is why it is not a good solution long-term.
> Requiring visitors to the site to install code is not user friendly,
> but maybe some clever soul could automate the process.

Of course this is not an ideal situation. But it fills the gap until
server-side solutions are available.

And of course it would be possible to include the scripts in the website
itself instead of requiring the users to install them. But this would
somehow "force" people to use them, including the larger site load. But
maybe one could offer the scripts somewhere on the site once they are a
bit tested and improved. Installing them is quite easy with
greasemonkey.

For the "real" solution: Is there a roadmap somewhere regarding
thumbnails? What are the main problems at the moment? I don't have the
time to get into ccHost hacking, but once the required steps are written
down I think it might be easier to find someone to implement them.

Cheers,
Frederik