[Clipart] leechers and pirates

worms invasion wormsxulla at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 10:04:34 PST 2008

--- momo at lumenstudio.net wrote:

> Also, I agree with John when he says "As someone who
> has contributed a file or two here, I am happy to
> have them spread around.  The important part is that
> the clipart is available".
>
> Molumen

Hello,

I'd like to make the things clear if they aren't, as I
was the one saying "pirate" about clker.

I have no problem whatsoever with seeing my modest
contribution spread around freely - absolutely no
problem.

BUT:

I have contributed this work to Openclipart, BECAUSE
of the things explained in the FAQ.

Among these things are (as stated in the FAQ):
- Promoting a community of artists using open source
software ("Drawing together")
- Promoting the usage of open source software
(especially, Inkscape)
- And
"But if you're interested in helping the project more
broadly, there's several areas you can get involved
with:
    * Join the Open Clip Art Library Release Team, and
help in preparing the clipart package releases and
announcing the releases throughout the open source
community.
    * Update pages in the Open Clip Art Library
website. Post news items, review/revise existing
pages, add new tools, etc.
    * Help existing clipart package creators with
organizing their files, conducting releases, and other
general maintenance work.
    * Seek out new clipart that we can use under
Public Domain terms.
    * Mention Open Clip Art Library to applications
you think could benefit from having access to a rich
source of clipart.
    * Strive to increase publicity for Open Clip Art
Library through registration in search engines,
linking to us from your website, addition of the Open
Clip Art Library URL to appropriate websites, and
other creative marketing ideas. "

I am very sorry, but I don't see how cliker does any
of this (no possibility to upload/modify a clipart, no
mention (ok, one mention) /no link (zero link) to OCAL
or Inkscape from the main site, no clear terms of use
of the site, and ads & trackers).

So, I feel there is a misunderstanding here. Giving
freely the artwork for the end-users to use it or
better it (commercially or not), is one thing, and
another thing is to have people using the *whole* of
the site, pampering it a bit, and making money with
that, without meeting *any* of the primary goals of
OCAL.

This is what I call "leeching" or "pirating". I don't
*really* mind it... but I have ethics - and I don't
want the "bad guys" to be confused with the "good
guys". ;-)

So, maybe it's not the right time to ask this question
again, but how about being inspired by some of the
other open source libraries sites online?
Or, maybe, the FAQ should be changed to reflect the
reality, and be made less "ideal" - cos' obviously,
the open source world isn't ideal, as Eric noticed it
:-)

I hope I made things clear this time ;-)