[Clipart] librarians

John Olsen johnny_automatic at mac.com
Sat Jan 5 07:35:31 PST 2008

Seems lately that I am doing almost all the librarian work on the
site.  If there are people on the list that would be able to assist in
the librarian job I can give them admin status to help out.  Basically
you just need to review some of the new files that come in and see
that they conform to the site guidelines - http://openclipart.org/wiki/Guidelines
  - as well as just being valid SVG files.  There is also work to be
done with items marked for clean-up.  Currently their are over 100
files that need some type of clean up.  While it would be nice if all
submitters followed the guidelines and fixed their problems, it just
isn't the reality.

The link errors on the site do not make the job of getting to all
these files easy.  I have had to figure creative ways to find some of
them when the "cleanup" "pd_issue" and other links fail at certain
marker points.  But any help staying ahead of the job is much
appreciated.

We could also benefit from the admins enriching the tags field on alot
of the clipart.  Many of the submitters leave this blank or have just
one very generic word such as "icon" for the tags.  I imagine those
submitters for whom English is not their primary language find it
especially hard.  Right now tags are the only efficient way to find a
category of art so the tags are very important.

Anyway, if anyone wants to lend some help I can explain the librarian
job in better detail to them.

Johnny Automatic/john Olsen