[Clipart] Community Building

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 16:00:37 PDT 2010

 (Semi-ranbling ramblings thoughts on the requests issue)
 I have another take on it.

Why not have OCAL focus on vector works, and leave the uploading of raster
images to the free image hosts . e.g. photobucketimageshack.
Instead of having people upload images to OCAL they can link to those other
places. Unless bandwidth really isn't a problem?

I'm just remembering the previous "requests" area/tags, which didn't seem
effective in the timeframes. Maybe it's time for a re-think on how requests
will work? I know many requesters never cleaned up their requests - it was
quite a labourious task for librarians too. The questions were, "What's
current? Oh is this finished? is this old? What's new? What's actually
needed? Oh I see this was fulfilled 2 years ago!! " etcetc.

I'd like to see an easier way of doing requests than the last manifestation.
Michi and I suggested a forum, but Jon doesn't support that due to security
issues. Would Jon reconsider that aspect?

*Thought # 89384*
Personally, I think the requests feature CAN make people dependent instead
of figuring out how to use the programs and solve their own problems. I
think I don't like the request system as is currently manifest, but I can't
yet articulate WHY I don't like it.

What else would work for requests? Part of the problem from last time was a
lack of communication.

I guess a "Fulfill Request" button that works like the current "remix"
button would be cool. Something like,

*Case study #1*
Requester Person A asks for some balloons, and uploads a picture.
Designer Person B goes, "Oh yeah! I can do that!" Goes and makes the art.
Clicks the "Fulfill Request" button and uploads the artwork.
The Requester gets notified via email, AND, next time they log in, a screen
notification is also there saying "Designer Person B has fulfilled your
request. Please visit http://xyz to view the clipart."
The Requester goes there and sees another message, "Does this clipart answer
your request? Are you happy with the result? "
They click "Yes, it's awesome!",or "No, not yet"
If they click Yes, The Request automatically gets the request tag removed,
The Designer gets notified (Via email AND/OR login message) that the
Requester is happy with the result and everyones happy.
if they click No, then the request stays as is until it's accepted. The
Requester will be reminded periodically to check if the request has been
fulfilled.

*Case Study #1b*
Other contributors / Librarians / The AUTO OCAL SYSTEM can suggest clipart
based on the word balloon. If The Requester chooses a clipart that fulfills
the request, the request gets it's "request" tag automatically removed.

*Condition #34535635*
Of course search would need to automatically NOT INCLUDE requests in the
search results. If we could have a toggle system for fields to search in
that would be awesome.

This is all just theoretical of course. I don't know what Bassel is capable
of. ;) Whatchyah think Bassel? Are these ideas possible, feasible and
doable?

Cheers
Chovynz