Plans for hal 0.5.x

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Mon Dec 13 02:17:47 PST 2004

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 11:05:50PM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
>  3) Would be nice to map methods on arbitrary D-BUS interfaces for hal
>     device objects to binaries. See my earlier mail today on encryption
>     ideas. Can be used for a boatload of other stuff; e.g.
>     SetLCDBrightness().
>
>  4) Addons; make it easy to write and integrate e.g. the battery polling
>     software that Sergey is working on; ideally what we today have for
>     polling a USB or CD-ROM drive would be such an addon.
>
>These are the new device types I'd like to add support for

> 4) ACPI/PMU: Should be a job of reading off files in /proc or using
>    /dev/pmu. Sergey already did the spec of what the properties should
>    look like; we should just use that. Also add support for laptop-
>    specific interfaces through hal framework ideas 3) and 4) above.

Richard Hult and myself are talking about creating a dbus service to handle
/dev/pmu and put info about it in hal. So for point 3 it would be nice to both
map to binaries and to dbus methods.

But it probably won't be really an addon, because we want it to work too when
there is no hal for whatever reason.

  Sjoerd
--
You can always pick up your needle and move to another groove.
		-- Tim Leary