Plans for hal 0.5.x

Andrei Yurkevich urruru at ru.ru
Tue Dec 14 06:35:49 PST 2004

David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 03:16 +0300, Andrei Yurkevich wrote:
>
>>I'd like to comment on PDAs here. There's been a discussion about
>>merging properties for Palm PDAs here recently, and I am working on
>>pretty much the same but for Pocket PC devices right now. What I would
>>like to know is whether the specifications for PDA properties have ever
>>been discussed here? I think that since different PDA platforms are in
>>fact very much alike when it comes to hardware we could treat them the
>>same way where possible. In any way, if David M. has already
>>decided/implemented anything regarding Palm PDAs in HAL, can some brief
>>overview be posted here?
>
> There was some discussion here
>
>  http://lists.freedesktop.org/pipermail/hal/2004-November/001252.html
>
> but we never really got around to implementing anything. Personally, I
> fell that I lack the overview of the different pda devices to build an
> abstraction around it.
>
> My gut feeling is that most USB-based pda's just have a USB serial
> adapter stuck onto them and in that case it would suffice with just
> tagging that USB device as 'pda' through device information files. I
> could be wrong though.

Right, at least all PDAs I've seen (and that's been a lot of them) that
connect via USB are built this way. They provide some USB device of
their own that has got a USB-serial converter bound to that USB
interface. However, in the discussion you've mentioned, the idea was to
tag that USB device as a PDA. That's ok in case of USB, but when you
connect a PDA via serial/IrDA or Bluetooth, you won't have that USB
interface device. Instead, you will get a ttyS(n) in case of serial
connection, rfcomm(n) for bluetooth and irtty(n) or ircomm(n) for IrDA,
all of those being serial interfaces. Moreover, there is a way to
distinguish the device connected via these serial interfaces as a PDA or
something else, that could be done by HAL itself or a callout. Thus, we
could simply tag these serial interfaces with some property like
"pda.palm.serial_interface" or "pda.pocket_pc.serial_interface" just to
let the interested applications know that these serial ports lead to a
PDA device. Finally, some callout/daemon/whatever responsible for
establishing a connection with a PDA could do what it needs to when it
sees that there is a PDA available behind some serial interface.

cheers,
Andrei