Plans for hal 0.5.x

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Tue Dec 14 10:58:36 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 11:30 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (Cc'ing the gnome-vfs and Nautilus maintainer)
>
> On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 11:05 -0500, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 23:05 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > >  2) Finish the gnome-vfs patch (see utopia-list at gnome.org) to a) make
> > >     the one-to-many patch work and b) show icons for all drives even
> > >     though they don't have media in them. Also make it not rely on the
> > >     fstab-sync program.
> >
> > I don't want this unless the Nautilus UI changes to support the one-to-
> > many model.  Having two or more volumes appear when a user clicks on one
> > drive is disorienting.  Also, having more than one volume disappear when
> > one volume is unmounted also sucks.  Ideally Nautilus should show
> > relationships between the drives and volumes.

Showing relationship might be interesting. Its quite a major piece of
work though, since you have to totally redo how nautilus icon views
work. (computer:// is just a dir with desktop files.)

So, it might be a bit to much work for such a (imho) limited corner-
case.

> Of course, we may just take the Mac OS X route and not show drives at
> all [1] but only show mounted volumes; that would make the UI somewhat
> simpler. It also requires automounting but we know, by now, that auto
> mounting pretty much works anyway (if it doesn't the entire device
> doesn't work!) apart from exceptional conditions.
>
> So, either we should take the Mac OS X route *or* we should always show
> all drives (regardless of whether they got an /etc/fstab entry). Today,
> it's just a bit confusing.

You all know my stance on this. I like having the drives in the ui,
since there is hardware that sucks. If you think that when using hal we
will never ever have any problem with some hardware, including crappy
ones, then maybe we can switch. But i doubt it...

> > >  4) Make gnome-vfs capable of using libgphoto with URI's
> > >     gphoto2:///001/043 (for USB device 43 on USB bus 1). Make hal make
> > >     that URI available in computer:/// when we see a libghoto2 supported
> > >     camera.
> > >

> > I already have code called dphoto from desrt on #gnome-hackers that uses
> > a dbus service to marshal access to a device.  It also has a gnome-vfs
> > component.  All that is needed is to make the vfs component use the usb
> > device and bus identifiers and to make it more robust.
> >

> Cool. And make the hal component in gnome-vfs add/remove entries to
> computer:/// when hal sees a gphoto2-capable camera I guess? I suspect
> this requires some gnome-vfs workarounds, Alex?

Not workarounds. It requires some low-level work on finishing the VFS
GnomeVFSVolume support and the plug-in API for it.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an ungodly Republican gangster living undercover at Ringling Bros.
Circus. She's a vivacious Buddhist nun on her way to prison for a murder she
didn't commit. They fight crime!