initial support for video devices and printer ports

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Sep 1 12:04:11 PDT 2004

Hey Kay,

sorry for the lag,

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 21:01 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> Attached is a patch to add:
>
> Support for v4l devices:
>   http://vrfy.org/projects/hal/v4l.png
>   o it supports v4l and v4l2
>     (the v4l2 headers are missing on Fedora, so I copied the one struct in)
>   o we need to define the capabilities ,it's just "video.FIXME" now

This looks good. Suggest to call it media.* though; 'video' sounds to me
like it should be used for display adapter stuff. Btw, is it possible to
distinguish between capture cards and webcams without using some kind of
heuristic?

Aren't some of the v4l[12] devices also for audio or am I mistaken? If
yes, we probably need to have media.video.* and media.audio.*. Should
probably put tuner related stuff into media.tuner.*; this might include
a link to the i2c device it will have as child (e.g. my Bt878 capture
card is also a i2c-adapter).

Perhaps also call it media.linux.v4l_version instead of video.version.
video. video.FIXME could be hal capabilities media.foobar (or
media.video.foobar) for v4l cap foobar and properties media.foobar.baz
for interesting property baz that a v4l device with cap foobar has.

IIRC, talking to some GStreamer guys at GUADEC, there are some issues
with the properties the v4l subsystem provides; does anyone know? (btw,
if yes, this is another good reason for device information files).

Btw, is it possible to somehow add checks for availability of
v4l2_capability. Oh, and s/RedHat/Red Hat/g please if you are going to
include that comment :-)

[snip printer port; will follow up in another mail]

> I used C99 initializers for the ClassDeviceHandler,
> if nobody objects, it I will change it all, after this is in.

This is fine with me as it's all in Linux specific code.

David