initial support for video devices and printer ports

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Wed Sep 1 14:48:20 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 21:04 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 21:01 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> > Attached is a patch to add:
> >
> > Support for v4l devices:
> >   http://vrfy.org/projects/hal/v4l.png
> >   o it supports v4l and v4l2
> >     (the v4l2 headers are missing on Fedora, so I copied the one struct in)
> >   o we need to define the capabilities ,it's just "video.FIXME" now
>
> This looks good. Suggest to call it media.* though; 'video' sounds to me
> like it should be used for display adapter stuff.

I called it multimedia now, ok.
"media" is not much better than "video", I think.

> Btw, is it possible to
> distinguish between capture cards and webcams without using some kind of
> heuristic?

I don't know enough about video devices. I only have a old webcam with a
v4l version1 interface.
I thought I start to put basic support in, that people will notice and
look at their devices and say: Hey, I know my videodevice and this
property should be ...  :)

> Aren't some of the v4l[12] devices also for audio or am I mistaken? If
> yes, we probably need to have media.video.* and media.audio.*.

Done.

> Should probably put tuner related stuff into media.tuner.*; this might include
> a link to the i2c device it will have as child (e.g. my Bt878 capture
> card is also a i2c-adapter).

Hey, you have a device with a tuner... :)

> Perhaps also call it media.linux.v4l_version instead of video.version.
> video.

I called it multimedia.linux.version, ok?
Maybe the DVB's can use it too?

>  video.FIXME could be hal capabilities media.foobar (or
> media.video.foobar) for v4l cap foobar and properties media.foobar.baz
> for interesting property baz that a v4l device with cap foobar has.
>
> IIRC, talking to some GStreamer guys at GUADEC, there are some issues
> with the properties the v4l subsystem provides; does anyone know? (btw,
> if yes, this is another good reason for device information files).

They talked about DVB, right?

> Btw, is it possible to somehow add checks for availability of
> v4l2_capability.

You mean a autotools thing?

> Oh, and s/RedHat/Red Hat/g please if you are going to
> include that comment :-)

That bug is fixed :)

> [snip printer port; will follow up in another mail]

Yeah, every subject in a separate mail. This is just the video part. :)

Thanks,
Kay