tuning fstab-sync [was: getting hal and gnome volume manager to work]

Artem Baguinski artm at v2.nl
Sat Sep 4 14:33:03 PDT 2004

Eric Butler wrote:
> You need to set up fstab-sync so your flash drive is added to fstab.
>
> Grab the latest dbus and hal CVS and run configure with
> --enable-fstab-sync.
> Then make sure  you have fstab-sync.hal symlinked into your hal device.d
> directory (on my system it's /usr/local/etc/hal/device.d/)
>
> $ ls -l /usr/local/etc/hal/device.d/
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 26 Aug 30 21:43 fstab-sync.hal ->
> /usr/local/sbin/fstab-sync
>
> HAL looks in this directory for files ending in .hal and executes them
> when a new device is found. Fstab-sync will append the new device to
> fstab so gnome-vfs will see it.
>
> This is all assuming you have a patched gnome-vfs installed of course.

i seem to have this all setup and when i connect my portable audio
player or digital camera i see usbdisk mounted and the icon appearing on
my desktop. but i'd like my audio player to get mounted as lyra and
camera as sony_camera, rather then any of them as usbdisk. i also would
like to force them to be mounted using vfat filesystem and not msdos.

i thought i could do that with .fdi files, but i wonder - is that so,
and if yes where should i send files i'll write so they get to the
distribution?

cheers,
artm