tuning fstab-sync [was: getting hal and gnome volume manager to work]

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Sat Sep 4 15:17:53 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 23:33 +0200, Artem Baguinski wrote:
> Eric Butler wrote:
> > You need to set up fstab-sync so your flash drive is added to fstab.
> >
> > Grab the latest dbus and hal CVS and run configure with
> > --enable-fstab-sync.
> > Then make sure  you have fstab-sync.hal symlinked into your hal device.d
> > directory (on my system it's /usr/local/etc/hal/device.d/)
> >
> > $ ls -l /usr/local/etc/hal/device.d/
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 26 Aug 30 21:43 fstab-sync.hal ->
> > /usr/local/sbin/fstab-sync
> >
> > HAL looks in this directory for files ending in .hal and executes them
> > when a new device is found. Fstab-sync will append the new device to
> > fstab so gnome-vfs will see it.
> >
> > This is all assuming you have a patched gnome-vfs installed of course.
>
> i seem to have this all setup and when i connect my portable audio
> player or digital camera i see usbdisk mounted and the icon appearing on
> my desktop. but i'd like my audio player to get mounted as lyra and
> camera as sony_camera, rather then any of them as usbdisk. i also would
> like to force them to be mounted using vfat filesystem and not msdos.

HAL does not care about moutpoints at the moment. You can write a
udev.rule to match your device and put a static string in your fstab.
Then HAL will handle it all for you like today, except the fstab will
not be updated and the volume is mounted as specified there.

If we make use of persistent property store in HAL, we will support
this, I expect, as I really want this feature too :)

Thanks,
Kay