SiS driver changes

Thomas Winischhofer thomas at winischhofer.net
Thu Aug 19 08:25:54 PDT 2004

Kevin E Martin wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 02:24:51AM +0200, Thomas Winischhofer wrote:
>
>>I will need to commit some SiS driver changes tomorrow. Do you really
>>need to review them?
>>
>>Don't get me wrong but I don't think you have any idea on the driver's
>>internals in order to evaluate the intended changes.
>>
>>But anyway, if you insist, I can send them to you first.
>>
>>(Details: It seems SiS made another effort to change their BIOS data
>>layout. The driver needs some adjustments to the way it determines
>>whether or not it uses the BIOS data for timing. Changes will happen to
>>init301.c and init301.h assumingly. Don't know the details yet as the
>>changes need testing which will happen tommorrow morning [about 9:00 CEST])
>

> The problem is that the code freeze has passed and major only blocker
> bugs (or other code that we are waiting for fixes on) are being allowed
> into the release now.  The proper way to get anything checked in at this
> point is to submit a bugzilla report with a patch and make it block the
> release bug (#351).  If it is a small change, then it will probably be
> included right away.  However, if it is larger, then it will be
> discussed either on the release wranglers list or on the next release
> wranglers call.

OK, will file a bug as soon as the patch is ready.

> BTW, if your changes are completely confined to the SiS driver, then I
> think you'll have an excellent chance of convincing everyone that they
> should be included.

It is entirely confined to the SiS driver. Updates the panel timing
tables for 1280x800 TMDS panels to correct (and previously guessed)
values as well as changes the scaling/non-scaling logic (for LCD output)
slightly. Required to make a machine sold in masses recently work under
X.org.

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer