Problems with quake 3 on nvidia binary driver...

Andy Ritger aritger at nvidia.com
Fri Aug 20 07:43:10 PDT 2004

Aaron Plattner has been doing some testing here; with
composite he is seeing some X server segfaults in general in
XAA_SURFACE_FROM_DRAWABLE where the pixmap's offscreen pointer in
the XAAPixmapRec is null.  It's not clear if this is a driver bug
or an Xorg bug, yet.  We're currently investigating.

Jim: do you have composite enabled when running OpenGL?  I've seen
other reports of problems running OpenGL while Composite is enabled.
The reports I've seen claimed that the problems went away when
composite was disabled.

Obviously no existing NVIDIA driver's GLX will interact correctly
with Damage/Composite (GLX needs to be taught to use as it's
frontbuffer the redirected offscreen pixmap, notify X of the damage
event, etc).  I would expect rendering artifacts (OpenGL scribbling
over other windows, etc) but not stability problems.  Then again,
this is new territory...

Most likely, in NVIDIA's next release, we'll just disable GLX when
Composite is enabled until we can get this issues worked out on
NVIDIA's side.

I'll try to make sometime (maybe this weekend?) to take a look at
the current state of NVIDIA's GLX with CVS X.org.

Thanks,
- Andy