[SCIM] What's the difference between three config modules?

Jon-o Addleman jonathan.addleman at mail.mcgill.ca
Tue Dec 28 06:31:35 PST 2004

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 01:10:22AM +0900, ?$B%L%P%?s, spake thusly:
> Anyone, plase tell me what's the difference between socket-config,
> gconf-config, and simple-config.
> It seems like for me that they are duplicated. Are they alternative?
> And what's socket frontend? What is it used for?
>
> Now, let's change the subject and talk abount RPM binaries.
> It seems like that the RPMs of scim should be divided in some packages.
> Should I divide it next time?
>
> My suggestion is as follow:
>
> 1. scim-libs
> This one contains library files.
> Socket frontend is included in this package.
>
> 2.scim-x
> This one contains X11 frontend.
> If you don't use X11, use scim-screen or something.
>
> 3.scim-gtk
> This one contains gtk-imengine, gtk-panel, gtk-setup-panel.
> If you don't like gnome, use skim.

One little correction (it's my pet peeve, bear with me..): this isn't a
gnome program at all, it just uses gtk. I personally can't stand gnome,
but use almost exclusively GTK apps! (I can't stand KDE even more...).
GTK doesn't stand for gnome tool kit, but Gimp Tool Kit.

--
Jon-o Addleman - http://redowl.dyndns.org