[SCIM] scim 0.9.6 & openOffice

Damien Menanteau damien.menanteau at wanadoo.fr
Mon May 24 02:29:40 PDT 2004

I'm currently having an issue with SCIM 0.9.6 and openOffice 1.1, I
don't know if anybody encoutered this one already.

I've been using SCIM with openOffice for a few months on a SuSE 9.0 box
with KDE 3.2.2, and was very happy with it until I recently upgraded qt3
to version qt3-3.3.2-3. I'm not 100% positive that this change in QT
version is the cause of the problem, but I can not see any other reason
for this change in SCIM behavior.

What happens is the following: When I switch to pinyin input method from
openOffice and start typing characters, I can not see anymore the popup
window containing the list of available choices, and the scim icon in
the toolbar starts blinking (well, actually its behavior gives the
feeling that scim daemon keeps restarting, failing, and so on). This
seems to be only a display issue though, because scim keeps working.
Indeed, when I type for example "ni1", "ni2" or whatever pinyin input, I
get the proper character inserted in the right place into my openoffice
document.

At the time I encoutered the problem, I was using SCIM 0.9.3. I then
upgraded to version 0.9.6 hoping that it may fix the issue,
unfortunately it did not, the behavior is exactly the same.

The only workaround I have to this issue today is to activate the "On
the spot" option in scim config, but then I get the annoying behavior
related to the fact that ooffice does not support this option yet, with
the cursor always moving away from the place I want to have the
characters inserted.

Any idea or suggestion is welcome, I've tried all the options I could,
but without any success up to this point.

Thanks

Damien