[SCIM] From a newbie: problems in running scim

Rodolfo Medina romeomedina at libero.it
Sat Jan 1 11:38:39 PST 2005

Rachel Kronick wrote:

>You might want to check my tiny howto at
><http://www.jiawen.net/linuxbits.html#chineseinput>. It's for Mandrake
>9.1, so there may be things that I caught that are useful to you.

Thanks, Rachael:

I read your howto and tried to follow your indications:
I put into the file ~/.i18n the lines:

LANGUAGE=zh_TW.UTF-8:zh_TW:zh_HK:zh
LANG=zh_TW.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=zh_TW.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE=zh_TW.UTF-8
LC_NAME=zh_TW.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=zh_TW.UTF-8
LC_TIME=zh_TW.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=zh_TW.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES=zh_TW.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=zh_TW.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=zh_TW.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=zh_TW.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY=zh_TW.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=zh_TW.UTF-8
CONSOLE_NOT_LOCALIZED=yes
ENC=utf8
XIM_PROGRAM=scim
XIM=scim
GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"

as you suggest, but many undesired effects came up:

1) in my KDE graphical environment all characters became
   V  E  R  Y    V  E  R  Y    L  A  R  G  E, almost unreadable;

2) in the same graphical environment italian accented vocals, such as 'à ',
were not
   properly displayed inside directory names;

3) if I don't start scim with '$ scim' before, I cannot input
   italian accented vocals in editor (such as kwrite);

4) the scim toolbar, that appears when I do Ctrl-space, contains only
   the 'English/European' input method, so I cannot input Chinese

5) in man pages the character '-' is not displayed

I installed scim-1.0.1, scim-chinese and scim-tables as you indicate.
Do you have any suggestion about how to fix these effects?

Thanks, cheers,
Rodolfo