[SCIM] Re: From a newbie: problems in running scim

Rodolfo Medina romeomedina@libero.it
Sun Jan 9 08:11:09 PST 2005

Yukiko Bando wrote:

>Here's what localedrake wrote in ~/.i18n when I selected Italian as the
>language, Japan as the country and SCIM as the input method in the current
>cooker.
>---------------------------------
>LANGUAGE=it_IT.UTF-8:it
>GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
>LC_ADDRESS=ja_JP.UTF-8
>LC_COLLATE=it_IT.UTF-8
>QT_IM_MODULE=scim
>LC_NAME=ja_JP.UTF-8
>LC_NUMERIC=ja_JP.UTF-8
>LC_MEASUREMENT=ja_JP.UTF-8
>LC_TIME=it_IT.UTF-8
>LANG=it_IT.UTF-8
>LC_IDENTIFICATION=ja_JP.UTF-8
>LC_MESSAGES=it_IT.UTF-8
>LC_CTYPE=it_IT.UTF-8
>LC_TELEPHONE=ja_JP.UTF-8
>LC_MONETARY=ja_JP.UTF-8
>XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d"
>LC_PAPER=ja_JP.UTF-8
>XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
>--------------------------------
>
>After editing /etc/scim/global as follows, all installed input methods
became
>available in Qt applications as well.
>
>/SupportedUnicodeLocales = en_US.UTF-8,it_IT.UTF-8
>
>I'm not sure if this is what you were asking and things might be different
in
>9.1 ...

Thanks, Yukiko, I followed your suggestions
but unfortunately they didn't work.
This time I tried with Mandrake 10.1 Community.
I put those lines you indicated in ~/.i18n
and edited /usr/local/etc/scim/global as you showed,
and the following problems occurred:
1) accented italian characters (à, ì, etc) not displayed within directories
names;
2) the same characters not input from keyboard;
3) when opening a shell the following message appears:

locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory

4) I run scim with '$ scim', then open kwrite and do Ctrl-c,
   and the scim toolbar appears: but only English/European input method
   is present.

It seems strange to me it is so difficult to make scim properly work.
Maybe it's because Community is a beta version of Mandrake?
But similar problems occurred also with Mandrake 9.1.
I really don't know what to do.
Hints highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rodolfo

P.S.: How did you select scim input method in localedrake?
      It only asks me for language and country.