[SCIM] SCIM 1.1.2 is available for testing.

Yukiko Bando ybando@k6.dion.ne.jp
Sat Jan 15 23:55:30 PST 2005

Hello,

On Sunday 16 January 2005, Zhe Su wrote:

>   Proxy IMEngine can be used to filter/convert some output of an
> IMEngine. For example convert the output strings from Simplified
> Chinese to Traditional Chinese, or translate between Chinese and
> English, on the fly. It also can do many other tasks, eg. provide an
> extra window to display the meaning of a phrase in the LookupTable.

Thank you for the explanation.  That sounds very interesting.  I look forward
to seeing SCIM IMEngines evolve with this new feature.

> And keyboard layout switching also can be implemented by such way.
>
>   For keyboard layout switching, your idea is good, but it seems that
> it's very complex :-). In my view, each IMEngine should tell scim
> which keyboard layout should be used. SCIM should provide a setup tool
> to let users specify the keyboard layout actually used by them.  Then
> scim should convert the key events from the layout used by users to
> the layout used by IMEngine before sending them to IMEngine.
>   But in such way, the API of IMEngine and KeyEvent must be changed.
> And IMEngines must be modified to support it.

Okay, it's too complicated.  I still don't seem to really understand how
"Keyboard Layout switching" will be used, but I will not complain as long as
my xmodmap works with SCIM. :)

BTW, the front page of the setup panel still reads "Copyright 2002-2004".
I've also noticed that Global Setup appears under Anthy and Hangul in
IMEngine.  It's a trivial thing, but is it possible to put it on top of
individual IMEngines?

Thanks again.

Yukiko