[Uim] A question about the space bar

David Oftedal david at start.no
Fri Apr 9 03:28:40 EEST 2004

> I said about not a expectation but the validated fact.

No, it's not. I just checked, and nothing of the sort you mentioned
happens. Not with the old version of uim and not with the new one.

I'm sorry that it happens on your system, but I don't see how you can
blame a patch for something that only happens on your system. Let's at
least see if other people are having problems with it.

> Other IMs such as uim-anthy are negatively affected via the
> three define-key'ed variables although the previous patch
> changed only hangul.scm.

They're not affected here, like I said. Could you at least reinstall uim
and try again?

> I actually experienced and solved following problems.
>
> - Under uim-anthy, space key was unexpectedly causing immediate
>   committing of preedit string in composing state (converting
>   kana into kanji phase). Its proper behavior in composing state
>   is to select candidates. This problem is caused by
>   inappropriate global redefinition of generic-commit-key?. The
>   redefinition adds unneeded committing role to space key
>   globally, and overwrites candidate selection role for some
>   IMs.

That absolutely does not happen. I just tried.

> - Under uim-anthy, "<Control>p", "<Control>n" and vertical
>   cursor keys were unexpectedly causing immediate committing of
>   preedit string in composing state. Their proper behavior is to
>   select candidates. This problem is caused by inappropriate
>   global redefinition of generic-next-candidate-key? and
>   generic-prev-candidate-key?. The redefinition globally removes
>   special meaning from "<Control>p" and so on, so those keys are
>   treated as ordinary key and causes unexpected committing.

I just tried that, too. Nothing.

I think you should at least reinstall uim, because these problems are
too strange. The fact that you're seeing these changes in files that
have nothing to do with hangul.scm almost makes it seem liks you've
somehow changed generic.scm instead of hangul.scm.

-David Oftedal