[Uim] Re: [SCIM] Re: Design philosophy and strength of uim

James Su suzhe at tsinghua.org.cn
Sat Jun 26 06:20:51 EEST 2004

Hi,
  First, though there is no simple API (like uim) for client usage,
SCIM's IMEngines can be loaded into client's process directly by using
libscim. We are planning a C binding of SCIM's IMEngine interface, just
like uim.
  The socket protocol of SCIM is also implemented as an IMEngine module,
if a client want to connect to the SCIM socket daemon, it can just load
the socket IMEngine module and use it just like other normal IMEngines,
without re-implement the socket interface.

  The position of the preedit string window is hardcoded into source
code. Most Chinese users like the current style. If you think putting it
right after the cursor is better, I can change it as you wish.

  And You must use a locale with UTF-8 encoding in order to use all
input methods in one client. Because typing characters outside a
specific charset makes no sense.

Regards
James Su

$