[Uim] Setting up for (traditional) Chinese and Japanese input on a modern GNOME installation

TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki tkng at xem.jp
Wed Sep 1 16:19:07 EEST 2004

Hi,

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:24:05 -0400
Duncan Mak <duncan at ximian.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to rebuild the UIM 0.4.2 source RPM. I'm getting this
> error:
>
> uim-fep.c: In function `main':
> uim-fep.c:201: warning: implicit declaration of function `setupterm'
> uim-fep.c: In function `main_loop':
> uim-fep.c:418: error: `clear_screen' undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> uim-fep.c:418: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
> once uim-fep.c:418: error: for each function it appears in.)
> uim-fep.c:419: error: `clr_eos' undeclared (first use in this
> function) make[1]: *** [uim_fep-uim-fep.o] Error 1

I remember someone reported us such errors, and Masanari fixed. So
please try new uim. (I'll release 0.4.3 in 24 hours.)

> I remember a few months ago, James from the SCIM project started
> posting to this list, but that was during the Mono 1.0 release cycle
> and I didn't pay much attention to the list traffic. I remember
> reading how SCIM should now be the new front-end to it all.

Personally (note, it's not consensus of committers) I'm not thinking
SCIM should be the front-end of uim, though I'm recognizing that
scim-uim is worth at some points. I'll write about this topic tomorrow.

> In the end, what should I do to setup a new machine to type Chinese
> (traditional and occasionally simplified) and Japanese?

I recommend scim if you type Chinese. And, from the point of view of
consistency, I recommend scim-uim for you to type Japanese right now.

This document may help you.
http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~apricots/mandrake/miniguide.html

Regards,

--